Saturday, May 26, 2007

WELCOME

Greetings! Welcome to the new and improved Wordsmiths Unlimited: a writer's workshop, roundtable, and place to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your creativity.

Wordsmiths was started many moons ago by Tiff and Kingfisher, two amateur writers with notions of grandeur and a desire to improve in their craft. KF has retired his moderator hat, so db grin has jumped in to continue the duties. We invite you to join us in a monthly writing exercise that has just a few rules:

1) All entries must be 500 words or less. NO KIDDING!

2) Spelling and punctuation are important, except where rule departures are used for effect.

3) Entries must be submitted by the deadline given. You may submit your piece by providing a link in the comments section of the monthly challenge.

4) You should be willing to read the other entries and comment in a constructive fashion, pointing out high and low points of the piece in workshop fashion. Feedback from other writers is half the point of Wordsmiths Unlimited, and as a participating writer you're expected to critique the other submitted works.

There. Enough rules to count on one hand, with a digit left for dialing or picking.

We will link all submissions in a monthly results post on this blog for easy browsing. One click will take you off to the submitter's blog, so there will be opportunities to discover new blogs and new people. There is no prize or penalty for your submission; this is a forum for fun creative exercise.

As a submitter, you retain full copyright.

It's our hope that Wordsmiths Unlimited will spur imagination, hone skills, facilitate improvement, and create community. Come write with us!

6 comments:

KOM said...

Woops - I've found you on a lark.

I can only hope that your tolerance is more than that for the fat kid picked last.

Forgive my insecurity if you must -- it was shortly after a critical comment that WSU became vaporware. Egocentric as I am, I've become concerned that I was partly at least to blame.

Kingfisher said...

Kom - you definitely were not to blame. Other factors conspired to bring proto-WSU to an early demise. Hopefully we learned a thing or two since then.

You stumbled onto the rough start. When we've got it polished up, we'll announce to the world at large.

Thanks for your support!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I need something to force me to write again! I kinda let it all slide since January, but the ol' MBA is coming to a close very shortly and I want to get back on the bandwagon.

Hmmmm, but I promise not to use cheesy cliches like "back on the bandwagon" in my stories :)

Oh, well, unless there is an actual bandwagon... and someone falls off it. Then I think it's only fair.

tiff said...

TGIUTK - I should think that there are so many similes for "bandagon" that the use of such a prosaic term would be echewed.

Bwuahahaha!!!

Welcome back!

Biff Spiffy said...

Woot!

This is what got me started in blogging, and I'm so very happy to see it back in action!

and again, woot!

kenju said...

As if I don't already have enough to do!!

I will read here certainly, but I am less sure if I will ever write here. I may surprise myself sometime....LOL